Saturday, August 2, 2003

There once was a man from Nantucket.

I begin my tale with this statement:

Hummers are the biggest waste of personally owned vehicle in the world.

I don't know how many of you know that I feel this way about these monstrosities. But I do. I have said on many occasions, if you want to drive a Hummer that badly, join the Army and defend the country while you're at it. After all, that's what Hummers are meant for. Unless you're planning on doing some serious off-roading, (i.e. in the Army), there is no need. 

With that said, let me talk about Nantucket. I love Nantucket. It really doesn't feel like you're even in America anymore, let alone Massachusetts. QUAINT is the only word I can find that describes it. How else can you describe cobblestone roads, white picket fences, hydrangeas, and a complete lack of pavement, commercial businesses, and traffic lights? Everything is basically within walking distance. The island itself also only about 14 miles long and those cobblestone streets are NARROW. Narrow being about 15 feet wide, no exaggeration. Unless you live there or have a summer house there, you really don't NEED to bring a car. Now, wouldn't you think that if a car was completely necessary for visiting vacationers you'd bring a Mini Coupe or Volkswagen Beetle or mabye even a BMW z3 to easily manuever yourself around these narrow, narrow roadways?

I think so.

BUT no, upon setting foot on this island what was the first vehichle that drove by? AN ORANGE HUMMER. This to me defines Road Hog. I know that there are lots of very very rich people that live on Nantucket, but obviously they are very very stupid to think that they come off as super cool driving a monstrous vehicle that literally takes up what would be both lanes should the roads HAVE separate lanes. I took a picture of this so that I would have proof. I hope it comes out.

Other than my negative encounter with the gas guzzeling beast, I had a wonderful two days. We went with my Canadian grandparents and my very very Canadian great-aunts. It was a party. I'm not even going to bother trying to describe the racous that I experienced. I don't think Nantucket was big enough for two Canadian senior citiziens AND my grandmother. They're probably still recovering over there. Next time we go though, I need to bring somebody. All the cool kids were having fun, someone needs to come with me so that we can play with them.

One cool thing that happened: my parents were looking to buy a painting for their 25th Anniversary present to themselves. So we went into this gallery (the artists all run their own galleries, so I met a bunch of artists) and the guy who's paintings were for sale and from whom my parents ended up buying from actually sold a painting to Princess Diana. He met her. I thought that was pretty cool. Maybe I'll get to see the original once Harry and I get married. Hah. 

Can I also just confirm that ice cream and frozen yogurt should not ever be sold in the same establishment. They couldn't be more different. I'm remaining loyal to ice cream from now on. Trust me on this one.

I need to finish my last essay for AP Psych today. I guess it's good that it's raining then. Blaah.

No comments: