Saturday, April 19, 2008

Shoot.

Today is the 233rd anniversary of The Shot Heard Around The World.

April is full of great commemorative holidays with corresponding movies to watch in honor of them. I've always celebrated Titanic Day (Titanic) and Holocaust Remembrance Day (Schindler's List). I can't believe I've never  celebrated Shot Heard Around The World Day with The Patriot or something. 

On Holocaust Remembrance Day 2006 I tried to include Natalie and Eleanor in the Schindler's List viewing, but when  I left the room three minutes into the movie to grab a blanket I came back to find that they'd swapped out Schindler's List for The Sweetest Thing starring Cameron Diaz. I should have known better and learned from the mistakes made on Titanic Day 2005 which was an utter fiasco that resulted in exclusive, VIP-only Titanic Day viewings of Titanic from that day forward.

Anyway. This is the first year that I spend Shot Heard Around The World Day in a part of the country that was blissfully ignorant on April 19, 1775. It's kind of like that joke, "If Helen Keller were alone in the woods and a tree fell down, would it make a noise?" Nobody in California heard a damn thing. The only guys that would have been around to hear anything were Indians, so while everyone on the east coast was shooting and revolutionizing and laying the first tumultuous, bloody bricks of the path to democracy, whoever was over here was just, I don't know, building tee pees, picking berries, painting pictures on birch bark paper, using every piece of the buffalo and crying about litter.

God, I love the east coast.

No comments: