Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Old.

I just threw my back out while color blocking my closet. This might make me an official grown up. Although, let's be real, maintaining said color blocked closet probably will not happen. But for now, it looks pretty cool, like Cher's closet in Clueless. I wonder if they've actually invented that outfit selecting computer software that she had yet.

Now that I'm old and a few days away from the end of my formal education, I find myself doing and thinking about a lot of things that my mom used to say and do that never made sense to me before. Par example:

  • 1. Washing fruit before you eat it. I never saw what the big deal was and would constantly neglect to wash fruit before consumption. Now I'll occasionally forget, but when I do I can't help but think not about pesticides, but about how many grotty grocery shopping fingers came into contact with/squeezed the apple that I'm eating. 
  • 2. Sort of along the same lines- eating the skin of a grapefruit. Not the rind, the white papery skin that sheaths the pulp. When I was little, my mom would peel a grapefruit, pull out the pulpy sections for us, and eat the white skin part that was left over because, according to her, that is where the Serious Vitamin C is. As a kid I thought, "Wow, she's eating the raunchy part of the grapefruit and giving us the delicious pulp. She must really love us. THIS is love." Now I eat grapefruit the same way, in sections, like an orange, and I swear to God, I feel healthier after eating the bitter inside skin.
  • 3. Not standing too close to the microwave. In the 90s my mom would tell us to close the door and RUN AWAY from the microwave to protect our brains from Micro Waves. It was probably a little bogus then, and definitely bogus now that microwaves have evolved some over the past twenty years, but yesterday at work when I was microwaving coffee and watching the cup inside to make sure that the foam didn't overflow, I could swear I felt my brain get a little sore.
Case in point: Mitch is a wicked smaht grownup.

I can't stop looking at this closet. It's like a beautiful spectrum of clothing. Practically art.

Next thing you know, I'll be getting all riled up and excited about, I don't know...something really mature.

1 comment:

michelle r said...

Told ya, about the microwave that is.