Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Lucky.

I remember this one morning when I was seven, my dad and I were sitting at the kitchen table, enjoying some Frosted Mini Wheats. Just to digress a little, we were probably both reading while we ate. When I was little I'd always read while I ate. It was the beginning of my long history of multitasking. As I type this, I've been simultaneously brushing my teeth for about thirty minutes. Some stuff can just be done while doing other stuff, and why waste the time doing them both separately?

Anyway, back to breakfast, 1993. I remember getting ready to bring my bowl to the sink with a few soggy mini wheats still left soaking sadly in it. "You're not going to eat those poor mini wheats?" Dad asked. "Their sole purpose for existing is to be eaten by you. They'll be devastated if you throw them away." Not wanting to disappoint the mini wheats, I ate them.

 That was the morning that incited a lifetime of food personification that I always think about when I see a stray noodle stuck to the bottom of a pot or a frozen pea left in the bag or cereal crumbs left in the box. They deserve to be eaten too and after having this little notion implanted in my brain, they almost taste better for needing the extra bit of attention. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Toy Story did this to me, but with toys. I hate the movie for that, because whenever I had to get rid of old stuffed animals or old toys, I felt like the worst person alive. Ugh.

- Laura