Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Intervene.

After watching Intervention for the first time and witnessing the struggles of Caylee, a 21 year old meth/heroin addict AND  her mother, Christy, a bulimic, chronic over-exerciser, I have made the executive decision to eliminate my own crippling habit: fingernail/cuticle gnawing.

I'm not going to do it anymore because I realized that it probably makes me look like a fidgety meth addict and in a place where people don't know me that well, I can't risk that kind of misconception. 

I should also point out that I am totally serious. Just as I always am when I discuss the effects of crystal meth and meth labs in general. This is important to note since last year, while strolling down Newbury Street, Liz and I got admonished for our apparent lack of reverence on the subject of exploding meth labs by an angst-ridden stranger who was eavesdropping on our conversation, which had to do with finding hypothetical reasons to bring down Boston Realty Works following our apartment fire, and meth labs on Grey's Anatomy. He informed us, rather unnecessarily, that there was nothing funny about meth labs and that his own apartment in Atlanta suffered damage from a drug related explosion. All of this happened on the street, completely at random. Bottom line: Yes, sir. Meth labs are no joke.

We brushed it off as him being angry with his own ignorance for choosing to live in Atlanta, of all places. What did he expect?

1 comment:

Laura Sreebny said...

I've started biting my nails again, hardcore. We should work together. Not that either of us would know if the other one was cheating.