Saturday, May 21, 2005

Choose.

Well, I can atest to the fact that this Star Wars thing really is all that it's cracked up to be. I actually found myself relating themes from the movie to real life, which, I think, is what the Freaks do. I can't get over the genius that it took to think that whole saga up. I'm always so impressed with fantasy writers, because I have a hard enough time finding words to write about things that are actual, and to have the imagination to dream up alternative galaxies and worlds and languages in the manner of George Lucas, Tolkien, and JK Rowling and then have the ability to develop those ideas into such impossibly plausible books and movies is INSANE. JK Rowling, especially. God, I believe that wizards are real and that I'm missing out. Who knows how many times my memory has been modified? Um...I'm going to stop. 

I also realized that George Lucas is basically immortal, and so is everyone in Hollywood. Long after he's dead, people will STILL be talking about these movies, and the people in them. Millions of years from now, maybe even after the...Rapture (?), some aliens or whoever could find a time capsule with all sorts of movies in it, and they'll know who the stars of those movies were, too. Nobody's ever going to forget about Audrey Hepburn or Tom Cruise or Natalie Portman, because they've been so well documented and have somehow made a distinct impression on culture. They'll never be invisible, and they'll basically live forever through their movies, or books, or television shows, or what have you.

So, at the risk of sounding terribly Dark Side/power hungry/narcissistic... I want to be immortal, too. Now more than ever.

No comments: