Sunday, September 12, 2004

525,600

There are some things I'll never know.

And there are others that I wish I'd never learned.

I'll never forget the first day I met you, and how tiny and beautiful you were. Your Rollerblades were too big, but it didn't matter. Your eyes were big and dark and they started to smile before the rest of your face caught up.

I remember Christmases. I remember sitting alone with you, talking and laughing and eating egg salad sandwiches with anise cookies. I remember waiting for you this year. The egg salad was different.

I remember everything. The shopping, the vacations, the sleepovers, the birthday parties, family parties, and holiday parties. I remember the home movies, the games, the hide and seek, and the diving lessons. I remember the when and the where, but I'll never know why. More than anything, I remember your eyes, and how they locked into mine for what seemed like hours. They were just as big and just as dark and just as beautiful. 

I can still see them perfectly

No comments: