Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Youtube.

Here's something that baffles me: when people dedicate what must surely be hours to creating the perfect unnecessary sentimental montage to throw up on youtube. Why? Why do this? Maybe I'm just dispassionate or something, but I cannot for the life of me understand why videos like this exist: 

Exhibit A: The Public Figure Montage. This is a montage of my now famous former neighbor Snooks that is four minutes long and comprised of maybe six pictures, max, and assembled by some concerned citizen with a lot of time and what appears to be some sad little Dell editing program that they had on their hands. Apparently people occasionally feel it is their civic duty to honor current events of which they have no part with a primitive, sappy montage. I also found about 300 JonBenet Ramsey montages that are way too disturbing/creepy to include here, but don't worry..."Dreaming of You" and "Wind Beneath My Wings" are the common musical accompaniments of choice. 



Exhibit B: The Reader's Digest Movie Montage where, basically, someone shaves a three hour movie down into the most crucial 3-5 minutes. Hello, Copyright Infringement. The creator of this masterpiece speaks for himself with the following description of this video:

The film Braveheart had a huge impact on me when I first saw it, and still does. I felt compelled to make a video for it showing my appreciation for such a powerful film. I used the score composed by James Horner and basically put alot of what made it memorable for me into this video. Wow, really? Well done. 



Exhibit C: The Music Video Montage. These are just...indescribably stupid. The only thing worse than a montage of scenes from a movie set to that movie's theme is scenes from a movie set to a completely separate, sort-of-but-not-really-relevant song. Behold: Titanic featuring Enrique Iglesias' "Hero", Pearl Harbor featuring Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt", and Jurassic Park, featuring Skillet's hit, "The Last Night". The only thing better than all of the above is when the song is Nickelback and it's being played under Pride and Prejudice. AMAZING.






These people should be punished.

2 comments:

Laura Sreebny said...

I think you're wrong there, Danielle. Nothing illustrates the lyrics "you come to me with scars on your wrists" more appropriately than the discovery of a brontosaurus.

Katie said...

I hate these, because they always ALWAYS pop up when I'm trying to find a movie in its entirety on youtube and they throw me off the hunt.

You should really check out the ones for Harry Potter, they are RIDICULOUS. Especially because people try to make it look like the story is about something else, aka, Malfoy and Harry's secret love affair.